No one wants to be in an accident, much less one that involves injuries. In the event of an auto accident, it’s imperative to stay calm and collect as much information at the scene as possible. We’ve put together an auto accident checklist for you should you be involved in an accident:
- Always check to make sure you’re okay. Check yourself for any possible injuries sustained in the accident.
- Confirm that the other driver or party involved is okay and hasn’t been injured.
- Call emergency services (911).
- TAKE PICTURES! It is vital to take pictures of the scene, vehicles, collision site and any other important environmental features (such as weather conditions).
- You’ll also want to take pictures of the other party’s driver’s license and insurance cards so you can have that information handy when reporting the accident to your insurance company.
While you wait for emergency services to arrive, be sure to collect or record as much information as possible. Ask yourself the following questions and try to create an accurate profile for the accident:
- What is the VIN number and License Plate number of my vehicle?
- When did the accident occur? (include date and time)
- Where did the accident occur? (include street names, intersections and other location details)
- What is the VIN number and License Plate number of the other party’s vehicle?
- What are some important details about the accident? (include weather conditions and how it happened)
- Were there any traffic controls at the scene of the accident? (include signage, traffic lights, etc.)
- Were any pedestrians involved?
- What type of accident was it? (collision with another vehicle or collision with a fixed object)
- If not a collision, how did the accident occur? (ran off the road, overturned vehicle, mechanical or electrical defect, fire, driver or passenger ejected from vehicle, etc.)
- What is the name, badge number, unit information and phone number of the responding police officer?
- Were there any witnesses?
- If so, what is their personal information? (include name, address, phone number and/or email address)
- What is the witness’ statement?
The Kendrick Law Group is dedicating to providing you with quality legal representation and protecting your rights and interests throughout your case. If you’ve been injured in an accident, contact Don Morrell, Esq. at the Kendrick Law Group to help you with your Personal Injury case. To request a COMPLIMENTARY auto accident checklist glove compartment card for use in the event of an accident simply email us your name and mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention: checklist.